Monday, July 21, 2008

Virginia is for Lovers

This tourism slogan has apparently worked on my sister Shannon. Over the weekend she packed up and left Massachusetts for a lover’s life with her boy in Richmond. To toast her new home, here are a couple of fun facts about her new home state:

  • The first theatre in the United States opened in Williamsburg, VA in 1716. As an actress, this one should be of particular pride to Shannon.
  • Virginia’s state dance is the square dance. This also has personal resonance for Shannon (and me and Veronica, too). Our parents met square dancing, so none of us would be here if it weren’t for the spin-your-partner-round-and-round and dosey-dos of Virginia.
  • The Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia, has twice as many bathrooms as necessary. When it was built in the 1940's, the state of Virginia still had segregation laws requiring separate facilities for blacks and whites. Finally—a place women don’t have to wait in line (consider this a silver lining to our racist history).
  • And, randomly, the Virginia Big Eared Bat is the official State Bat. Good thing, too, because no one likes those stupid small-eared bats. Am I right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, can you believe I moved over 600 miles for one boy!? I might be crazy.

Tori said...

I like your phrasing--as if moving 600 miles for two or three boys would be the height of logic, but for one boy it's pretty questionable. :)

Kristinn said...

LOL! In 2001, I moved over 800 miles for one boy! (And also to the great state of Virginia...) And although he is occasionally the bane of my existence, he is still the love of my life. :) And YAY if this means that Tori might one day travel southward and stop in to say hello on her way to Richmond! :D

Tina said...

Go Girl! I'm all about hopping the country for one boy. I think I've got y'all (getting in the VA spirit and all) beat. NY to CA, 3,000+ miles. :) Very best of luck to you. And be nice to the bats. They probably take their bats very seriously down there, right Kristinn> :)