Monday, July 28, 2008

Tell No One

Saturday night, Todd and I tried to see The Dark Knight. We were disappointed but not completely surprised when we arrived at the theater in the early evening only to learn that every show until the 4:20 a.m. was sold out (side note: are people really going to the movies at 4:20 in the morning?!).

None of the available movies were really speaking to us, so we ditched the blockbuster theater and headed a few blocks south to a smaller and more indy- and art house-friendly cinema where we saw Tell No One. This French thriller is definitely worth watching: it has enough twists and turns to keep you guessing throughout, while never veering into the land of the absurd. And I appreciated the European sensibilities present, where not every loose end is tied up with a neat and happy bow.

I still want to see The Dark Knight, but this was a very satisfying alternative.

4 comments:

rg said...

We went to the movies once at 1:30 a.m., remember? We had a good reason...

Tori said...

That's a good point. But without another overnight flight to Alaska, I'm not sure I'd do it again any time soon!

Anonymous said...

I've actually always wanted to go to some ridiculous super-late-night movie showing just because it's possible here; I like how a lot of the multiplexes have weekend shows that start as late as 1AM or so. But when they bring out the round-the-clock shows for massive hits like The Dark Knight, it sounds even more delightfully surreal. Go to a movie at 3 or 4, get out around dawn... I dunno, it sounds weirdly appealing to me, although I have never actually done it. Seeing TDK at midnight was the latest I've gotten out (almost 3AM) in several years.

Unknown said...

I bought tickets to the dark knight, IMAX version for Saturday @ 5p.