Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Little Italy of the Bronx

With a bit of prompting (and driving) from Rena, I found myself on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx this weekend for the first time in my entire life. I loved it! Of course I did: it was a trip all about eating. And not only was it all about eating; it was all about eating Italian food and Italian pastries. Anyone who knows me could have predicted that this trip would have been a success.

I liked it much better than Little Italy, which is a complete tourist destination now. Though Arthur Ave definitely had its share of tourists, it also felt more authentically like a neighborhood. And the food was great and a bargain, too! The eggplant parmigiana we had from Mike’s Deli was worth the trip alone. There were so many things that I didn’t get a chance to try (despite eating enough for a week) that a second trip would not be out of order.

3 comments:

S Bennett said...

I've always wanted to go there!

Anonymous said...

As you might guess, it would take very little prompting to get me up there. It would be a great excuse for another cooking venture, too.

(kk)

rg said...

I'd love to go again before I move :)