Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Park(ing) in New York

I just heard about this interesting thing happening in New York in September. Select parking spots all over the city will be handed over to people for one day only to be turned into something more fabulous than a place to stick your car. Park(ing) Day is a chance to “get everyone thinking about our scarce public space and how we use it.” Most folks seem to go for a park effect, rolling out sod, bringing in benches, shrubs, and umbrellas, and setting up camp.

What would you do?

5 comments:

rg said...

What a great idea!
I would host an all day open mic. Anyone could stop by and make some music :)

Veronica said...

Maybe I just have pirate on the brain, thanks to my upcoming shows, but I'd make a pirate cove. Get a big sandbox built and fill it up, except for a corner full of water. Maybe put a palm tree in for shade. And then dress like a pirate, with all my friends. Maybe a little cluster of "rum" bottles. Old fashioned ones, but filled with nice, hydrating water, because a) hydration is good and b) public intoxication is an arrestable offense.

Anonymous said...

Fun! They did this in SF, too, a while back. I think I'd go with a Mexican resort theme - fake sod, a huge flower-covered, shade-providing trellis; a few comfy lounge chairs; stacks of trashy romance novels; and a battery operated mixer to churn out frozen margaritas.

Dorrie said...

Maybe it's corny, but I'd just put a big fake tree and a stereo in my space. And then I'd play Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" really loudly...

Tina said...

I think I'd put a big umbrella there, and have several of those massage chairs, and some benches. Most days, I just want a foot rub, so I'm thinking that would be my 'oasis of calm' in the city to encourage everyone to walk. Free shoulder and foot massages to anyone not driving.