Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Police State?

No, it’s just Columbus Circle. Coming through the 59th Street subway station this morning I passed no more than six armed...police officers? Army dudes? I’m not sure, but I will tell you this. They were dressed like a fucking SWAT team and had giant, giant guns. I don’t pretend to know enough about weapons to tell you just what these were, but I will tell you that they were the big-ass two-handled versions that (god, I hope) take a lot of training to use. Just what do they think is going on at 59th Street that requires such a presence? I can tell you right now: nothing. Maybe, maybe, a little pick-pocketing. Definitely some shoving and mumbled “move the fuck out of the way”s. That’s it. Nothing that requires six uzis and a bomb sniffing dog. Yeah, there was a dog there, too. Pretty, but surely trained to go straight for my throat.

I really wanted to take a picture of them to support this post, but I thought they’d probably shoot me for doing it.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

There were tons of police and barricades near my office on 46th and 7th this morning...I know there's that MLB All Stars Parade (as I roll my eyes) on 6th Ave. Maybe it's for that? I can't imagine why it'd extend all the way to Columbus Circle though!!!

Anonymous said...

Crazy - I'm glad you didn't take a pic. Camera in the subway? They surely would have set that dog on you...

Tina said...

I imagine men with uzis and dogs are not huge fans of photography. I wonder if that was supposed to make you (and NY'ers in general) feel Safer?? Did it?

kimberly kinchen said...

42nd St at Bryant Park was loaded with 'em and so was the 57th Street F stop. And - oh yeah - that damn parade. I hope they made MLB foot the overtime bill b/c seriously, baseball's fine and all, but that's not really the best use of NYPD time in my book.