Monday, August 3, 2009

Birthdays

Saturday night Todd and I attended the birthday party of one of his oldest friends. This guy really did it up: he rented a private space at Chelsea Piers where 80 or so friends gathered to celebrate the start of his fourth decade. We each paid $20 upon arrival, but after that there was an open wine and beer bar, appetizers, two cakes, and cookies. There was music, through which I learned that Todd and all his childhood friends have exactly the same moves. Before cake was served, a microphone was brought out, and the guest of honor thanked everyone for coming. His wife read a prepared speech. His mom and brother gave toasts. It was a really fun night, but much more lavish than anything I’ve ever done for my birthday. It also made me feel like I totally dropped the ball when Todd had his 40th birthday in December.

Which makes me wonder: how do you all celebrate? My speed has been dinner with a select group of friends and/or inviting a large group out to a bar for happy hour drinks after work one Friday night near my birthday. Do you do things like that or do you really make it a party? Who plans it? Is it each individual’s responsibility to get their own birthday bash going, or should significant others/friends do the heavy lifting?

My birthday is next month, and so far I have nothing planned. Maybe you’ll all inspire me to get cracking.

4 comments:

Rena said...

I usually plan my own. I, too, like having a big dinner with friends (as you know since you're always there) and for the big birthdays, I like something more. My 21st was a surprise and I planned my 30th. Not sure what will happen @ 40 and I don't want to think about that now!

Tina said...

I'm with Rena - avoiding all thoughts on the looming 40! Bur for the soon-happening 37, we're doing Come Dine With Me at mine. So all the boys will be there for dinner then we'll all head to Soho afterward.

Last year I planned a dinner at my fave restaurant in Soho, then booked karaoke then we hit the clubs.

I can't imagine renting out a space for myself, but Giles did it for his 40th. I think the BIG ones deserve a blowout if it's possible and financially feasible - the others are best when it's just dinner and drinks with close friends.

Sidebar: a girlfriend here had a 40th WEEKLONG celebration with several friends in Paris!! She's a banker and this was before the recession, obviously, but I still thought it was INSANE.

Veronica said...

Since we bought the house, Mike and I have done a joint party (since our birthdays are so close together) at the house, inviting tons of friends over.
Before that, we tended towards the dinner with friends option. Sometimes with a movie afterwards, if there was something playing that the birthday person really wanted to see.

Spooky said...

I'm usually too busy planning for Halloween to do anything that's particularly for my birthday. That said, it's not exactly a secret that my birthday is the next day, and I'm usually treated to a few unsolicited gifts, and/or an impromptu chorus of Happy Birthday.