Sunday, August 9, 2009

Visiting & Eating...

... eating and visiting. That's what Todd and I did in the Berkshires this weekend. We arrived in Rena's neck of the woods around 10:00 a.m. on Saturday and instantly brought on the food by going for some anti-climactic berry picking. I had envisioned picking of epic proportions. Instead, we picked two bags of plums in about seven minutes, looked at the blueberries and decided they were over priced, and high-tailed it out of there. If we were at the orchard for half an hour, it was a lot. And thus began two days of non-stop cooking and consumption, including all of us popping our pasta-making cherries together, making blueberry pancakes, and baking the first Have the Cake cake. Photo documentation of much of this excitement will follow after I snag the photos from Todd's computer.

Generally speaking, Rena completely indulged my romanticized vision of life outside NYC. Great Barrington is a great town and has so many adorable shops and homes that Todd suggested I put a moratorium on the word "cute." We fell in love with the area so quickly and so completely that while Rena and I caught up over a scoop of SoCo Creamery dirty chocolate ice cream (side note: YUM), Todd took his cup across the street to a local real estate agent, made a connection, and found us a house to consider buying. Ultimately, the house wasn't for us for so many reasons, but we were so happy in the Berkshires that we were seriously day dreaming about a home there!

The best thing, which probably goes without saying, was getting two full days to catch up with Rena. And that's high praise given how good everything was!

2 comments:

Rena said...

I had such a fun time with you both! I hope your fantasy of moving here becomes a reality. I'll keep an eye out for your new house ;) Come back soon!

Tina said...

So many things to love about this post:

First: insanely jealous at the catch-up. Second: the idyllic country fantasy complete with big houses and tiny shops and dirty chocolate ice cream (seriously, that alone does it for me!). Third: the popping of the pasta making cherries line.

Gawd I want to use that somehow in conversation! :)

Sounds like bliss and I can't wait to see the pics!