Wednesday, August 12, 2009

International Youth Day

According to the Chagall-themed calendar hanging in my cube, today is “International Youth Day.” I remember one spring when Mother’s Day and Father’s Day rolled around asking my parents why there was no “Daughter’s Day” or “Child’s Day.” The answer I got was that every day is child’s day. Good point, I now think.

International Youth Day reminded me of that conversation, but it also made me sincerely curious what it was all about. Turns out it’s a UN-prompted day that has more to do with sustainability and the concept of a global village than it does anything connected to being a young’un.

Surely the UN is right, and young people need to embrace the idea of sustainability, but shouldn’t a youth day have something to do with ice cream, running barefoot through grass, and playing with abandon?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's amazing how a change in your perspective change your opinion of things I've said!
And yes fun, sweets and getting dirty should all be part of youth day!

Tina said...

International Youth Day should include compulsory running through the sprinkler, and chocolate sprinkles on ice cream!

And I love how perspective changes with age. :) Wisdom is a glorious thing, ain't it?