Sunday, August 16, 2009

Paying It Forward

I came across the website for Volunteer Gear a short time ago and am intrigued. The premise, if it works, allows this company to make money by prompting individuals to volunteer their time and energy in whatever capacity appeals to them most.

You buy a t-shirt, thus paying them to volunteer, basically. But, with the purchase of a tee, you also get a pair of dog tags that have a unique serial number. You register the tags on their site and, after volunteering, pass one or both of the tags on to someone else. They volunteer, register their activity, and pass the tags on. Through the site, you can track the progress of your tags, where people are volunteering, and presumably feel a sense of joy that you played a part in it.

Things I love about this:

  • The first person invests the money to get the tags and fund the initiative, but after that there is no cost to anyone involved.
  • It would feel really satisfying to prompt so much volunteering and goodwill in the world.
  • It’s really flexible, allowing people to put their effort where they think it matters most.
Things I don’t love: it feels a little like a chain letter. I think I’d send these tags off and they’d disappear never to be seen or heard of again. I wonder if, for the most part, people would only volunteer if they were inclined to already. I don’t know if the dog tags are really enough of a motivation to overcome busy lives or inertia.

What do you guys think? Would getting a dog tag from me prompt you to volunteer?

3 comments:

Rena said...

I'm not crazy about the idea. I think everyone should volunteer when they have the time and the mindset to do so. I don't know that the dog tags would feel so much like an incentive as perhaps guilt or pressure. Not that it's the intention but speaking for myself right now, I wouldn't have the time, should they arrive in my mailbox, and I don't want to feel guilty about that. I also wouldn't want to feel like I'm volunteering just for the purpose of reporting it. I wouldn't want you to feel like your money went to waste.

I'm also curious what this company does with the money they make? As far as I can see, it's for their own profit. I can't find anything that says any proceeds go to any organizations which makes me feel like they are making a buck off people who would already volunteer without prompting.

Tina said...

I'm not sure what to think. I think something tangible that you get for volunteering is always so very appreciated, and I treasure the stuff I've gotten over the years. I do think people that are going to volunteer will do it without prompting.

That said, in my drive to recruit new volunteers all the time, anything that could make someone stop and think for a second that there's something cool and lasting and a bit out of the ordinary in it for them - that could tip the balance and make them sign up. I also kinda like the tracking thing - it's just more proof that the world is a very small place and tiny gestures ripple outward.

I like the concept.

ellebee said...

I have to agree with Rena on this - I think I'd feel guilted into volunteering if I received the tags, especially since I don't have time to devote to any volunteer work right now. It's an interesting concept, though, and I like Tina's take on it from the standpoint of a volunteer organizer.