Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Domestic Goddess

I usually drink at least one cup of tea per day while I’m at work; often, it’s more. I have an Ithaca College mug that I use, proudly displaying my love for the academy and my alma mater. Unfortunately, the inside of the mug is white, and over time it had gotten rather tea stained. I washed it vigorously in our pantry sink, but the dish soap and sponge method just wasn’t cutting it. I had heard soaking it overnight in vinegar might help, but I’m a 21st century kind of girl and wanted instant satisfaction. A quick internet search turned up this tidbit: use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. I already had these at home, so I brought my mug home last night and gave it a whirl. Seriously, those things aren’t called “magic” for nothing. I don’t ever want to hear it if they are bad for the environment or going to eventually give me cancer. I just wiped out the inside of my mug and the stains were gone. I know I sound like a Mr. Clean shill, but they’re not even compensating me for writing this. I’m just really happy that my coworkers won’t think I’m some gross-ass who never washes out her mug.

Anyone else have helpful hints to share? I hate cleaning, so shortcuts are very welcome. :)

3 comments:

Tina said...

Ok - I need one of those erasers! My tea mug at work is getting seriously manky!

I'll need to think on the domestic goddess tip and get back to you. Or, I'll cheat and ask my cleaning lady. :) hahah

The only one I can think of is using white vinegar and water mixture (half/half in a spray bottle) for cleaning everything! Glass, countertops, sinks, tiles - it all shines, no perfumes, no streaks, it's great and environmentally friendly. And a bottle of vinegar is about $.65. Score.

Jen said...

My only tip is...Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It really is the greatest thing ever! Have you used it on your bathtub? Two minutes and you've got it gleaming.

I seriously geek right out over those things.

Rena said...

I use baking soda and vinegar to clean the drain. Put 2 tablespoons of baking soda in the drain and then pour the vinegar in. It fizzes up like a science project. Fun and clean!