Sunday, August 30, 2009

Bread Pudding Success

I tried out my super simple bread pudding recipe tonight, and it was a hit! It was so quick and easy to put together, and Todd and I both really liked it. Todd especially loved it, which is surprising given that there isn't a lick of chocolate in it.

Below is the recipe as it stands. I think it'd be an easy one to change up, and I can imagine a cheesy savory version making a good breakfast.

INGREDIENTS

  • 6 slices day-old bread (I used potato bread)
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups milk
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Break bread into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread. If desired, sprinkle with raisins.
  3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.

2 comments:

Rena said...

So, now I think I have no clue what bread pudding is. That sounds like a lot of milk, sugar and eggs for 6 slices of bread! Hmm... I might have to wait till after my sister's wedding to try this one out. I won't fit in the dress for sure!

I'm glad it was tasty :)

Tina said...

Well done you for converting Todd to a non-chocolate dessert!