Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Have the Cake: Carrot Cake

You've heard the story from Rena already, but I'm here to tell you that August's Have the Cake carrot cake was pretty easy to make and tasted great! The most challenging part from my perspective was mixing the date paste and melted butter. I thought I was going to smoosh and stir forever. It took ages before I even saw progress and had my doubts about the ability to get these two ingredients combined. Obviously in the end those, and all the other ingredients, came together.

The cake baked for a little longer than we originally put it in for. We weren't quite sure how long it would take, so we underestimated and then checked it every ten minutes or so. In the end, I think it was about 55 minutes before our toothpick came out clean.

It smelled so good when it came out that we teased that we'd have to put it up out of reach of Austin, otherwise she wouldn't be able to resist it while we were out getting lunch. In the end it was Todd, Rena, and me who couldn't resist. Even after a big burrito lunch, we each held out about five minutes before having a slice.

The first Have the Cake month was a roaring success!

3 comments:

Rena said...

I completely forgot what trouble you were having with the dates and butter!

cliebs said...

I'm glad the cake was a hit. I know your extreme dislike for cream cheese, but no frosting at all??

Tori said...

We had vanilla icing on hand, but because it came out more like a bread than a cake, we didn't frost it at first. We tasted it without icing and then each had a piece that we iced individually. It's good either way, but of course I'm a sucker for more sugar, so I liked it with the frosting. Anyway, it traveled home better from the berkshires un-iced.