Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Fantasy Home Shopping

Todd and I continued our fantasy home search this past weekend in Vermont. Bryan and Jane told us their next door neighbor’s home was for sale, and since they were friendly with a realtor they set it up so we could see the house while we were visiting.

Let me tell you guys: this home had me seriously salivating. There were things that were imperfect about it, like a shortage of closets, but overall, it was wonderful. So quirky and unique: no two rooms were the same, and there were unexpected treats all throughout. And the space! It was the house that just kept on giving. I saw the main two levels and then was surprised by a finished basement that could easily serve as a TV room. Then I couldn’t believe the storage space the attached shed offered. Then, oh, how I was wowed by the tiny one room cabin in the woods! Maybe we could use it as a guest house for when our city friends come to visit, I thought to myself. Or, maybe we turn it into an art studio where Todd makes sculptures and I make pottery. The possibilities seemed truly limitless.

It would be a solid 5 or 6 hour drive from the city, though, and we don’t have a car. The flight up to Burlington isn’t that expensive but would break the bank if we tried to make this place into a weekend home, and our painfully delayed flight home on Sunday made me even less open to that crazy option. In the end, there isn’t a way to make this work, but if I could have, I would have.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't blame you! It's great. I can only imagine how beautiful the views would be in the winter and fall!
I do miss the New England fall colors . . . :)

Rena said...

I like the fantasy of you moving to my area better :)

ellebee said...

If you're going to spend 5-6 hours driving, you may as well spend 4 hours flying and buy a second home in Colorado. :) You have yet to make good on your promise to learn to snowboard!

Rena said...

GB is only 2 1/2 hours out of the city by car, train, vespa or bus. I win! I win!

Tori said...

Now all I need is the house...and the snowboard. :)

Tina said...

Um... I can't compete with any of the offerings here. The pond is rather longer to cross. :(

But I do love the cottage in the New England woods fantasy. And the view in the fall and in the snow would be breathtaking... with a fire, and an apple pie baking in the oven.

Sigh....